2018 brings 365 new days, 365 new chances to make our life ridiculously amazing. A…
Daily Habits for Losing Weight and Gaining Happiness
More often than not, people have the goal to lose weight. But when we focus in on what that really means, we also need to look at the reason why we want to make that goal. Is it to fit into a pair of jeans again? To wear a bikini on vacation? To feel more confident in everything you wear and everything you do? Whatever the reason might be, we all have one. So after we determine the reason behind the goal, we start thinking about what we can do to get us to that point of being our best self.
As unfortunate as it is, one day of eating salads and exercising doesn’t get us very far on the road to accomplishing our weight loss goals. It is what we do on a consistent basis that will. Luckily that means you don’t have to be extreme. But you can’t expect success if you only put in the work on the days that you feel like it. Daily habits are key to that consistency to help you crush those challenging, yet feasible goals. Take these daily habits into consideration:
- Plan out each and every meal/snack: Prep and plan your entire day so you know exactly what you’re eating and when. That means dinner too. Don’t let tired decisions take you off track. Try your best to stick to your eating schedule because when we skip meals or even just push them back, hunger and cravings sneak in, which doesn’t help either. Plus, I don’t know about you, when I know food is coming, I am pretty darn motivated to get to it, chow down and get my happy dance on.
- Include protein, fiber and fats in every meal/snack: Yes, that’s right. I said fats. We don’t need to be scared of them, we just need to learn more about them. Protein, fiber and fats help keep us full and satisfied, and help stabilize blood sugar levels. They help to eliminate cravings, as well as the monster that comes out of us when we’re hangry.
- Indulge once a day: Denying ourselves of our favorite foods can lead to binging or feeling depressed without them. Let’s turn that around to feel happy and motivated when we are on this journey. Find one small reward each day and treat yo’ self. Whatever it might be – wine, chips and salsa, or (my weakness) chocolate – indulge a little bit each day to keep you on the consistent and persistent path, while still being happy.
- Exercise every day: Commit to being active on a daily basis. Whether that means going for a long walk, sweating it out in the gym or finding your zen in a yoga class, plan out and complete that activity every day. “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people…” and we all know how that goes.
- Drink more water: Start by swapping out your lunchtime soda with a glass of water or even fruit-infused water (cucumbers are my favorite). Room temperature water helps you to feel more full, while cold water can speed up your metabolism. We always hear to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, but that’s because proper hydration helps to process calories and even a little bit of dehydration can slow down your metabolic rate. So keep that metabolism up and calorie intake low by adding in more water throughout the day.
- Get enough sleep: As hard as it might be, depending on what is going on, try to keep the amount of sleep you get each night consistent too. Imbalances in your sleep pattern and not getting enough of it will knock down your energy levels and immune system, and kick up your stress levels, cravings, and appetite. Start boosting up your happiness by getting a few extra zzz’s each night.